RAMP empowers people with disabilities to realize that there is no limit to what they can do. With this in mind, RAMP assists people with disabilities in obtaining the skills to hire and maintain Personal Assistants/Individual Providers (PA/IP).
PA/IPs assist with household tasks, personal care, appointment scheduling, and money management and, with permission of a doctor, certain health care procedures. PA/IPs are selected, employed and supervised by individual consumers.
RAMP maintains a list of Personal Assistants/Individual Providers and provides that list to the consumers we serve.
Your first step to becoming a Personal Assistant / Independent Provider
Becoming a Personal Assistant/Individual Provider is a THREE STEP process.
- Complete the Personal Information Form online or in person
- Pay for the background check online via PayPal or in person ($20.00 non refundable fee online (includes processing convenience fee), $15.00 in person)
- Attend a mandatory orientation. In order to attend the orientation it is required that you bring a valid driver’s license and social security card with you to the orientation.
YOU WILL BE CONTACTED BY A RAMP EMPLOYEE TO SCHEDULE ATTENDANCE AT THE ORIENTATION AT THE RAMP OFFICE OR TO ADVISE YOU OF ANY ADVERSE FINDINGS ON YOUR BACKGROUND CHECK THAT MAY PRECLUDE YOUR ABILITY TO BE INCLUDED ON RAMP’S PA/IP REFERRAL LIST.If interested in working as a Personal Assistant (PA) / Independent Provider (IP) and would like to be placed on RAMP’s PA/IP list please read the guidelines below.
- This is not an application for employment.
- RAMP is not the employer. PA’s report to and work for the Consumer who are most often paid by the State of Illinois Department of Rehab Services (DRS). In some circumstances the consumer may be self-paying for services.
- All decisions to hire or terminate the services of a Personal Assistant / Individual Provider are made by the consumer and not the responsibility of RAMP.
- A state ID or valid Driver’s License is required to fill out the application.
- Potential PA’s/IP’s must pay a $20 non-refundable fee for a criminal background check through paypal, or $15 with cash or money order. If approved, the individual will be invited to a mandatory unpaid PA/IP Orientation. After completing the orientation, the individual will need to pass a written test. Potential PA’s/IP’s have two months to complete the PA/IP Orientation and pass the test. After the above requirements are met, the PA’s/IP’s name is added to the PA/IP Referral List.
- Be aware that when applying online, a RAMP staff member will need to contact you to obtain your social security number in order to complete your background check.
- Wages for Personal Assistants/Individual Providers are paid through the Division of Rehabiliation Services (DRS) and/or the individual requiring assistance (the consumer), NOT RAMP.
- RAMP does not give PA’s/IP’s a list of Consumers to call nor does RAMP find a job for the PA/IP. RAMP simply places the PA’s/IP’s name on a referral list that is given to active RAMP consumers who are looking for PA’s/IP’s. Consumers decide who to call.
- This is not guaranteed employment. Some PA’s/IP’s receive a call right away, some do not.
- Once on the PA/IP referral list, PA’s/IP’s must actively communicate with Consumers and must call the RAMP office between the 1st and 5th of each and every month to remain on the PA/IP Referral List. IMPORTANT NOTE: PA’s/IP’s will be removed from the list for one year after the second failure to call in for the month.